- Course Code
Online workshop reviewing accessible scientific calculators and screen reader compatible Maths editors.
Together we workshoped strategies that cater to the calculator and editing challenges facing secondary Maths students with VI and their teachers. Large print, screen reader and braille options were discussed.
Resources for optimising accessibility were explored for student and teacher use, including the screen reader accessible Math editing software: Equation editor, EquatIO & MathType.
Scientific calculator options and practices were addressed: Talking & Large Print calculators, handheld calculators (including the Orion TI 30XS talking calculator), emulator software, Desmos app options and Braille note taker calculators. Graphing calculator software will be used for demonstrating print and audio graphs, and producing stencils for tactile graphs on the fly. Note: Graphics calculators are not approved for exam use in NSW.
This workshop will assist you to cater to the challenges facing primary and secondary Maths students with Vision Impairment and their teachers. Options for the inclusion of students who use large print, screen readers and braille; primary aged were offered.
Program for educators of Primary aged students
- Challenges facing students with VI in primary maths
- Support available
- Strategies that work well for you & suggestions.
- What the research suggests for brailling students
- Concepts to teach
- The importance of drawing
- manipulatives & equipment
- Practice: tally marks, number lines, vertical & horizontal arithmetic & the abacus.
- Apps to explore
Program for educators of Secondary aged students
- The impact of VI on mathematical development
- Challenges facing students with VI in secondary maths
- Inclusive Strategies for students
- Activity: Topic based examples of adjustments, e.g. measuring angles
- Producing accessible worksheets
- Resources: manipulatives, software & instructional videos.
- Accessible senior scientific calculators
This event addresses the following Standards from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers: 1.1.2, 1.2.2, 1.3.2, 1.4.2, 1.5.2, 1.6.2, 2.6.2, 3.2.2, 3.3.2, 3.4.2, 3.6.2, 4.1.2, 4.4.2, 4.5.2, 5.1.2, 5.2.2, 5.3.2, 5.4.2, 6.2.2, 6.2.6, 6.3.2, 6.4.2, 7.4.2. It fits within the Priority Area of Children/ Student with Disabilities. This event is evidence and research based.