- Course Code
- Start Date
- 19 – 20 April 2021
- 9:30 am – 4:30 pm
This workshop runs 9am-4pm Monday 19 and Tuesday 20 March.
This training will introduce and examine the Developmental, Individual difference, Relationship-based (DIR) model, which is an established and recognized framework to understand a child’s development that was developed by Dr. Stanley Greenspan. DIR explains a child’s developmental stages, individual differences, and the role emotion and relationships have in a child’s development. The training will present an introduction to the DIRFloortime (AKA Floortime) approach, with the developmentally appropriate interactions, interventions, and practices geared to each child’s developmental profile. The DIR model is applicable for all children and the DIRFloortime approach is particularly used as an intervention for children with Autism and other developmental disabilities.
Learning Objectives: Students successfully completing this course will be able to:
- Identify common features of autism and other challenges of relating and communicating
- Identify the key features of relationship-based approaches
- Describe the 6 Functional Emotional Developmental Capacities (FEDCs) in the DIR model and potential challenges that children face at each capacity
- Understand and describe the "I" in DIR - individual differences and how health, sensory processing, and regulatory challenges can impact a child's development
- Describe key principles and basic strategies of Floortime
- Understand and articulate the role of relationship and family in the DIR model
- Understand and articulate the essential role of affect as it is related to the D, the I, and the R
This event is a hands-on experiential workshop that requires participants to attend in-person. Remote and Digital Access will not be offered for this event.
Please note: this event runs from 9am - 4pm. We are also delighted to offer an additional hour with Jeff Guenzel for questions and answers about DIR and the Floortime Training with a special discussion on writing DIR-based treatment and education goals at no extra cost from 3-4pm on the 20th April.
This event addresses the following Standards from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers: 1.1.2, 1.2.2, 1.3.2, 1.4.2, 1.5.2, 1.6.2, 2.6.2, 3.2.2, 3.3.2, 3.4.2, 3.6.2, 4.1.2, 4.4.2, 4.5.2, 5.1.2, 5.2.2, 5.3.2, 5.4.2, 6.2.2, 6.2.6, 6.3.2, 6.4.2, 7.4.2. It fits within the Priority Area of Children/ Student with Disabilities. This event is evidence and research based.
361-365 North Rocks Road