- Course Code
You are invited to join 3 sessions that will build your skills in client communications.
Session 1: Building Rapport (12 October 9-10:30am)
- Active listening and reflective responses
- Unconditional positive regard
- The fundamental skills of rapport building, active listening and unconditional positive regard will be discussed in this session.
- These strategies work on finding commonalities with clients, changing power relationships within appointments (ie. Empowering clients, relinquishing your power).
- These are ‘non-judgemental’ techniques for gaining information from clients.
- These are required foundational skills for future difficult conversations.
- *Essentially “look after your client and they will look after their child/themselves”*
Session 2: Facilitating behaviour change (10 November 12-1:30pm)
Session 1 focussed on listening, non-judgement and information gathering. This session shifts focus to sharing information and facilitating client behaviour change.
- Having difficult conversations
- The most difficult conversations occur when people are highly emotional-which occurs in many of the appointments we conduct.
- This section introduces some ways to identify emotions, emotional reactions, and ways to respond.
- Motivational interviewing and behaviours around making changes
- Motivational interviewing is one strategy that can be used to facilitate client decision making and behaviour change.
- Strategic questioning allows clients to explore their thought processes and the things that are holding them back.
Session 3: Managing emotional responses (1 December 9-10:30am)
This session builds on information delivery and managing emotional responses.
- Delivering difficult news
- This section is specifically about delivering difficult news (a diagnosis, a change in prognosis etc).
- Responding to people’s emotions
- This section builds upon the previous discussions of active and reflective listening. Hopefully people will have had an opportunity to practice some of the skills learnt in the previous session.
- De-escalation techniques
- This section will explore some of the ways we can recognise that a situation is escalating, and techniques to de-escalate.