- Certificate Course
- Course Code
- Start Date
- 14 February 2023 – 14 February 2024
- 12:00 am – 12:00 am
This self-paced course is an introduction to supporting orientation and mobility skill development in children. It is relevant for allied health and education professionals who are working with children who are blind or have low vision, as well as O&M specialists who wish to update their knowledge.
This course has been designed to support learners to:
- Define the terms ‘orientation’ and ‘mobility’ (O&M)
- Identify ways of supporting early concept development
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of mobility aids and when they are appropriate
- Identify how O&M skills and techniques can be supported through using a routines-based approach
- Explain how O&M skills and techniques are adapted for children with multiple impairments
- Identify how you might collaborate with an O&M specialist in your professional role in order to support and reinforce orientation and mobility skills and techniques with your students and families you work with.
This course consists of 11 recorded PowerPoint presentations. Each PowerPoint is broken into smaller components of between 20 and 40 minutes so that you can break the sessions down and complete them over multiple days if you choose.
There is also a Learner Workbook designed to supplement the course material with additional readings and links that you can explore further. There are prompts for each session for you to reflect on your own learning if you choose to do so.
Upon completion of purchase, instructions for accessing this course will be emailed to you.